How far will you go for good taste? We are not just talking about mere taste here, but a taste of culture…a taste of the good life and of course… a taste of identity. There are many iconic dishes around the world that capture and define the true essence of a country and its culture and people. Travel is incomplete without savoring local cuisine. Food is not just a means to satisfy our appetite, it reflects a country’s uniqueness and often, the most memorable experiences you have when traveling, revolve around food. If you are an avid traveler or are planning to spend your vacations abroad, here is a list of some must-try foods around the world.
1. Aguachile (Playa del Carmen, Mexico): Playa del Carmen, located along the turquoise waters of the Carribbean Sea is renowned for its seafood. And if you are a sea food lover, Aguachile is a must try dish! “Agua-Chile” literally means “Chilli water” and is a spicy, tart cousin of ceviche. Made of shrimp marinated in lemon juice with clamato and fresh vegetables; it is a semi-raw dish that is simple, yet super sumptuous.
2. Khao Soi (Thailand): A Burmese- Influences coconut milk based soupy curry, the Khao Soi, means “cut rice” and is usually made with chicken or beef and served over Chinese egg noodles garnished with crispy fried noodles, pickled mustard greens, shallots, lime, sweet soy sauce and spicy chili oil. It is a veritable cornucopia of a myriad flavors, textures and tastes.
3. Panino Con Il Lampredotto ( Italy): “Panino con il Lampredotto” is a sandwich made in Florence, Italy and sold as a street food. The “lampredotto” part of the name means beef tripe. The meat is simmered in a seasoned broth with some tomato in it until tender, then cut up into small square slices and served on a large round crusty bun cut in half. It is usually served with Salsa Verde. The sandwiches start as low as 2 Euros and were initially called “Workman’s sandwiches.”
4. Okonomiyaki (Japan): Okonomiyaki is a popular Japanese dish that is derived from the word “okonomi”, meaning “what you like” or “what you want”. The dish is made made with vegetables, seaweed, meat, batter, a sweet sauce resembling Worcestershire, Japanese mayonnaise and is sometimes called Japanese pizza or “Osaka Soul Food” on account of all its loaded goodness!
5. Solyanka (Russia): Solyanka which is a rich salty spicy stew is a popular dish of Russian – Ukranian origin. This salty, sour and often spicy soup combined with meat, mushrooms or fish and topped with Smetana (sour cream) is very hearty & downright delicious.
So, are you prepared to travel to the ends of the earth and taste these delectable delights? But before you set off on your long & beautiful journey, make sure you are amply prepared. Buy foreign exchange online from trusted money changers such as Buy Forex Online India Pvt Limited who specialize in offering great deals on prepaid travel cards, and say hello to safe & stress-free travel.
Here’s giving in…to wanderlust.